1.18.2010

The Mitten Situation




I have really been liking cables. I have really been liking mittens. It was only a matter of time that I cast on for a pair of Evangeline's. The original pattern is for fingerless gloves and they are great, but I really wanted another pair of mittens. I DO live in Minnesota ya know. While these won't be terribly warm, they WILL be terribly cute and that counts just as much.

Because of the wide spectrum of temperatures that range from 'it's kinda chilly' to 'my nostrils just froze closed', there's a need for a spectrum of mittens to cover all your hand warming needs. Seriously. Just ask around. I have something mid-range for now so there's a need to fill on the 'cooler' end of the spectrum. I will also need a pair of 'nice and toasty' mittens too, but seeing as though I'm writing that pattern myself, it'll take a bit longer seeing as though I'm a newbie and all and seeing as though I only have so many hours in a day. You know?

My yarn of choice is Spud & Chloe Sweater and is so very wonderful and so very soft and so very versatile and so very WASHABLE. Yes, washable! I do believe I have found a new favorite all-purpose yarn. Even the colors are practically edible. This color is Watermelon. Um, YuM.

So far, I have finished the first one, complete with a true thumb gusset (love) and I will be casting on the second after I finish a top secret test pattern for BSA. Work before pleasure and all that, although, working for BSA is quite pleasurable I must say!

What's your mitten situation? Do you even need them where you live? Share a fave pattern?
~traci :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis, your work is amazing. I wish that I had as much talent as you. Mostly I wish that I could bring such smiles to others like you do. I may be older, but I applaud you, I respect you, I envy you, and I love you. Great work on the knitting and keeping your hobbies alive. I can't wait to get my set:)
Love you!!!
Atah~

Phyllis said...

I've been on a quest for the perfect mitten, too! Crochet, though. I feel like I tried every pattern on the internet. :-) I've had trouble finding the perfect yarn, too, but I'm having fun with all my experimenting.

Alison said...

I need a few layers of mittens!